empowering our residents to participate 

Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD), Section 18, and Streamlined Voluntary Conversions (SVC) are Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) programs that enable a Public Housing Authority (PHA) to preserve their affordable housing stock. Whatever the conversion method, the ultimate goal is to improve quality of life for you, the resident, through upgrades to the buildings, communities, and services offered. Through our joint Resident Meetings, BGC Advantage partners with your PHA to encourage you to take an active role in the process. This page is designed to house recordings of those meetings and answer commonly asked questions about the program. 


No Permanent Displacement

Public housing residents cannot be involuntarily displaced at the time of the RAD conversion, except for “transfers of assistance” (where tenants have the right to live at another affordable housing property).

Right to Return

Public housing tenants living at the property before the RAD conversion have the right to remain at the property. If tenants are required to temporarily relocate because of construction work at the property, they have the right to return to the property after the repairs are done.


No Rescreening

Residents cannot be rescreened with more restrictive requirements at the time of the RAD conversion or when they return to their property.

1-for-1 Unit Replacement

When public housing properties are demolished and then rebuilt (or substantially rehabilitated) because of RAD, the property Residents must continue to have the same protections provided under federal public housing laws (Section 6 of the U.s. Housing Act of 1937), which include public housing grievance procedures and termination protections. owner cannot reduce the number of units at the property (“one-for-one unit replacement”) – with some exceptions.

Long-Term Affordability

When public housing developments convert to PBV or PBRA, HUD and the owner must sign Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract that initially runs for 15 or 20 years. As long as there is federal funding, the HAP contract must always be renewed so that units will always be affordable.


Change in operation

If the public housing authority (PHA) plans to use federal tax credits to repair the property, they may select a new private landlord to manage the property, with some restrictions. If there will be a private property manager instead of the PHA after the RAD conversion, the PHA must maintain an interest in the property.


After the RAD conversion, most residents will continue to pay 30% of their income for rent and utilities. However, for some residents who pay flat rents, they may see a rent increase. If that rent increases by more than 10% of the original rent or $25, whichever is greater, the rent increase must be phased in over 3 or 5 years.

Evictions for Good Cause Only

Owners of RAD-converted properties must renew a resident’s lease, unless there is “good cause” not to, such as if tenants seriously or repeatedly break the rules in their lease.

Grievance and Terminations

Residents must continue to have the same protections provided under federal public housing laws (Section 6 of the U.s. Housing Act of 1937), which include public housing grievance procedures and termination protections.

Resident Participation Rights

After a RAD conversion, residents still have the right to establish and operate a resident organization to address issues related to the living environment, such as the physical conditions of the property.

Resident Meetings & Transcriptions

If you were unable to attend the Resident Meeting Webinar, you will find a recording and transcript below within 48 hours of a completed online session.  Each recording will address the unique needs of a specific community under development and will be available on this site for one week.  The purpose of these recordings is to give our residents sufficient access to their program information and allow time for questions and comments.

Name Your Neighborhood!

More about RAD

If you would like to learn more about RAD and explore some FAQs please review the documents provided below or visit HUD.gov. Click the links below to download and view.

Still have questions? We are here to help. Submit Your Question below or call 318-513-3302 about a recent meeting.

10 + 8 =